Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cool book news

I can go for weeks without anything new to report on the publishing front, and I still don't have anything new to tell about the current fiction project, but Knitting Book News sort of exploded all over this week.

First, I did a podcast interview with Kelly Petkun of Knit Picks a few weeks ago, and it went live on Thursday. I, personally, have not listened to it yet because there is some weird technical glitch with my recorded voice where I end up sounding like an adenoidal 12 year old. It happens every time... so strange. But you can listen to it here. It was a fun conversation, and I don't think I said anything too stupid.

And I learned that foreign rights to The Big Book of Socks were sold! English language versions of the book are already available in Europe, so I have to assume that whoever bought the rights (I don't have all of the details), is planning a translation. This could be my first foreign language edition, and I am inordinately excited about it.

And on top of that, PDF versions of both The Big Book of Socks and I Heart Felt are now available directly from Taunton.
 It's actually handy to have the book in PDF format, because you have to download it to your computer first, and then transfer it to your eReader (it looks wonderful on my Kindle Fire, doesn't it? The entire book is there, just like any other book on my Kindle, and I can pinch and zoom the pages as I need).
And since the book is on your computer, you can print out the charts and instructions for individual projects! Win Win! Both of the Prayer Shawl Companion books (knitting and crochet- I designed the cover project for the former, and another shawl for the latter) are also available as PDF books.

Speaking of eBooks, Interweave has the All New Homespun Handknit book available too- I have a project in it. Also, Spin Your Socks, with the Christmas Stocking pattern that sort of jump-started my knitting book adventure.

Oh, and I guess I do have a little Fiction Book News- the final 3 Tory Bauer mysteries are nearly ready for me to proof in their eBook format. Mourning Shift will be the first one of this batch released, probably by mid-June or so, with Cold Front, and Foreign Body following.

Like I said, and exciting week!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congradulations on all the knitting book news! I just wanted to add that I am SUPER excited to hear about the mysteries becoming available on ebook. They make super fun reading while I am traveling. Thanks!

Elaine said...

I'm so excited to hear about the pdf format for the Big Book of Socks. I absolutely love this book. If I was on a desert island and could only take one book, this would be the one I would have. I even considered doing a blog post called "Me and Kathleen" patterned after "Julie and Julia", since I've knit so many of the patterns! (Purl Bump is still my favorite!) Thank you again for such a wonderful resource!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Thanks Bethel! And Elaine, that may be the most amazing compliment any of my books has ever gotten!